NITO (Norwegian Society of Engineers and Technologists) are launching a unique three-week innovation contest for our student members.
The application is closed.
The purpose of the contest is to inspire our members to create innovative solutions for real sustainability challenges and contribute to the green shift. This innovation contest can be a stepping stone for those who would like a career in sustainability, tech, and innovation.
Gather a team of 3-5 members and sign up your team before January 7th, 2022, to be able to participate. If you are interested as an individual, please send us an e mail. The team with the most innovative idea will be invited to Tanzania to implement their solution.
You will be handed a task to develop and implement a sustainable solution and usage for a recycling container at the beach in Tanzania. We want to engage the local community to recycle plastic and give them credits in return. The credits can be exchanged for products made from recycled plastic for their use, or to sell in their local community.
Technology and circular economy will come together, creating a solution that benefits both the local community and the environment. How will your team solve the task?
After three weeks of teamwork, guidance, and innovation, your team will present the solutions to a jury. The team that presents the most innovative and feasible solution, will win a trip to Tanzania to implement the solution.
We need your passion, innovative thinking, and engagement to complete this mission. Your team will get the opportunity to work with other young professionals, mentors, and innovation experts. The contest will last for 3 weeks – and we can barely wait to see what you have in store.
You’ll gain experience in project management, problem-solving, sustainable development, and an opportunity to extend your network. Join us for a three-week innovation program, starting January 23 until February 13 online. Participation in the contest is free for NITO members, and you will be able to combine it with your ongoing studies.
The creative challenge
How to utilize the recycling container in the best way, with sustainability in mind.
What we offer
- The opportunity to influence strategic choices at one of Norway’s largest unions
- Skills development through tailored workshops on teamwork, innovation, and sustainability, facilitated by Sprint
- Support and guidance from experienced mentors during the contest
- Hands-on experience with problem-solving and collaboration in a realistic case with a true social and environmental impact
- Access to a network of leading figures within innovation and sustainability
- Knowledge about innovation and sustainability
- References from NITO and IUG
- Diploma of participation from NITO and IUG
- Insight on how Engineers without borders work and their involvement and projects around the world
- Access to NITOs workspace in central Oslo during the contest
- One team will win a trip to Tanzania to implement the solution
Solutions to the problems are created in interdisciplinary teams, hence we seek young, engaged people with various backgrounds. Your passion and personal drive are more important than your qualification background, so the more boxes you can tick of below, the more qualified you will be in this competition:
- Your field of study that qualifies for NITO membership
- Passion for innovation and your ability to think outside of the box
- Passion and engagement in sustainable solutions
- You want to directly contribute to the “the green shift”
- You are inspired by innovative technology & creative design
- Other cultures intrigue and interest you
When and where is the contest running?
The contest is run online between January 23 to February 13. We expect you to be available to meet your team, participate in the checkpoint meetings and workshops, and work on your project as you wish throughout the three weeks.
We highly recommend all the participants to join the following workshops on Zoom, and it is mandatory for at least one participant per team to join the workshops:
- Sunday January 23: Social gathering and information meeting (6 PM - 8 PM)
- Monday January 24: workshop - Team building & problem framing (4 PM – 8 PM)
- Monday January 31: workshop - Ideation & concept (4 PM – 7 PM)
- Friday February 4: workshop - Testing & customer feedback (4PM – 8 PM)
- Monday February 7: workshop - Creating presentation & pitching (4 PM – 6P M)
- Sunday February 13: - Pitch Day & social gathering - 4 hours (4PM - 8PM)
The winning team will be offered a 7-day trip to Tanzania between the 5th and 19th of March 2022 to implement their solution on site.
Whatever your background is, you must be able to demonstrate how your skills and motivation are relevant to this contest. Most important will be: You’re a good team player, open for new challenges, and have a genuine interest in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Please send one application for your team combined (three to five members). The three first teams that apply are guaranteed a spot in the contest, and keep in mind that there are limited spots.
The deadline for the application is the 7th of January 2022, and the application is to be written in English